5 Year Plan
- Set up a SOVA food bank on our property, have regular food drives, bring canned goods to every event, dinner, and service.
- Set up a Food Pantry. Donated tens of thousands of pounds of food to SOVA. We regularly help families at Northridge Middle School and assist youth with PALs.
- Have a retreat at Camp Ramah, Camp Alonim, or Camp JCA Shalom.
- Camp out at TRZ
- “Passover Experience” camp out in the desert
- Lots of holiday programming, always incorporate a social action component
- Major holiday celebrations like Channukah candle lighting on our lawn and party, Yom Ha’atzma’ut celebrations, Sukkah dinners
- Partner with a local organization like MEND on a regular basis
- Set up a clothes closet on our property Partner on these projects with Heschel
- Shabbat @ Home-host a special Shabbat dinner at your home.
- Monthly Shabbat dinners at TRZ together with Tot Shabbat and Shabbat Sings.
- Adult education classes and speakers on social justice topics
- Speakers: Rabbi Shmully Yanklowitz from Uri LeTzedek, Elissa Barrett Progressive Jewish Alliance/Jewish Funds for Justice.
- Classes: Judaism and Justice offered at 3 different times in 3 locations.
- Classes on Judaism and Justice
- Travel to Israel
- 28 people traveled with Rabbi Sela to Israel on the pilgrimage of a lifetime.
- Partner with Masorti cong., have video conferences with kids, connect with Rabbi Graetz
- Classes on Israel, in particular the environmental and social action elements
- Class: Israel 101
- Class in conversational Hebrew
- Speakers and work with AIPAC
- Have adult bar/bat mitzvahs
- Graduated 8 Adult Bnai Mitzvah
- Have recycling bins available on our campus
- Started paper, bottles and cans, and battery recycling program
- Plant gardens, start CSA and farmer’s market • Harvest food for charity at Orcutt Ranch • Partner with Food Forward to harvest fruit trees.
- Classes on Eco-Kashrut, cooking.
- Class: Judaism & Food, a Love Affair
- Biking, hiking, and walking clubs-connect to Hazon, bike to underserved communities.
- Classes on spirituality, prayer, theology, rituals, personal growth.
We have had classes on spirituality, prayer and theology
- Set up spiritual chevrutas (one-on-one study groups that foster spiritual growth).
- Teach people how to read Torah, Haftarah, Megilat Esther and how to lead services; people leading in groups.
Several congregants have learned to read Torah and Megillah
- Have interfaith meetings and discussions with local churches and mosques.
We have had interfaith services with local churches for 4 years in a row now, including one at TRZ
- Experiment and experience new musical styles Invite different types of Jewish musicians for Shabbat services: Craig Taubman, Josh Nelson (kosher gospel), Noam Katz, Joshua Nelson, Duvid Swirsky (Moshav Band), Rick Recht, Michelle Citrin.
We had guest Jewish musicians, including Craig Taubman, DJ Sinai, Cantor Donny Maseng and Ari Herschstand
- Create a TRZ band,-record a CD
- Classes on Bible, Talmud, Midrash Institute for Contemporary Midrash Storahtelling.
- Set up chevrutas and/or small discussion groups.
- Biblical Fiction Book Club.
- Have congregant guest darshan program.
- Bring in scribe to correct Torahs, tefillin.
- Design and publish our own TRZ Haggadah
- Partner with America Jewish World Service, Jewish World Watch, American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee. Service and learning delegation with AJWS to developing country.
- Classes on global justice issues.
- Lobbying campaign, meetings with our representatives in government.